My name is Louis Garrett and I have created this blog for my storytelling class. I am from St. George, Utah and I am 23 years old. I am single and I also play for the universitys basketball team. It took me a while to think about what I wanted to write in this blog. The first question that the professor asks is what we believe a story really is. I was pretty narrow minded when I started to think of how I wanted to answer this question. I considered simply putting, a story is given from one person to another about how they experienced a certain situation or something that happened to them. Then as I was reading through the preface of the required reading I came across an interesting part about dreams. It made me think in a larger scale about storytelling. Are we so enthrolled by stories that we even need them when we sleep? I know that I love waking up after having a great a dream and I know I dislike the feeling of being awakened by a bad dream. I realized that a story whether good or bad, has a huge influence on our everyday lives.
I feel that a story is made good or bad by the emotion that is put in by the person telling the story. When someone is full of emotion and is passionate about the story he or she is telling I then become compelled by their every word and eagerly wait in anticipation for the rest of the story. If emotion is lacking then my interest also quickly begins to fade away. I found the rest of the preface to be quite interesting as well. I think we as a people have a desire to hear stories and will pay good money to hear good stories. That is why movie stars make so much money. There is such a demand for people to act out great stories that we find it worth it to pay them fortunes. I also enjoyed reading the blog by Jonathan Gottschall as well. He is a very intriguing writer that captures my attention. I think I am going to enjoy this class and hope to keep an open mind to the vast education possible to recieve.
Your emphasis on the importance of the storyteller's emotional commitment to the story struck me, Lou, because it parallels Matt Blanchard's remark that the quality of the storytelling may trump the issue of the story's content. Does anyone have any thoughts on the relationship of emotional commitment to story quality, especially with reference to something specific in this week's reading?
ReplyDeleteI am on the basketball team as well! Women's basketball team, of course. I agree with you as well. I think a good story really does depend on the storyteller. Even a story about the most pointless things can be made into a good story if the storyteller is good enough.
ReplyDelete