I don't think it is possilbe to write a legitimately honest autobiography. There has been several occasions in my life where I spin the story to make myself seem a little bit better in the outcome. I don't change the truth to alter the outcome of the story but it does make the story not entirely true. People wouln't write a biography about themselves that reveals things that aren't great about them. People have a competitive desire to be better than those around them. They want people thinking they are the greatest and have no flaws, but we all know that isn't true. People often have unrealistic expectations about how they should act and often times we can't live up to those expectations.
I don't agree with the claim that we shape our own life stories to simulate tricky situations. I think that can sometimes be the situation but to make the claim that is the only reason has to be inaccurate. I am a person that doesn't focus a lot of attention on drama and tricky situations. I may be different than others but my memories don't prepare for difficult situations.
I have continued to do some more research on business and dispute resolutions. I am intrigued by the need for alternate ways of solving disputes and why there needs to be alternate ways. This article talks about the obvious need for a new system because the legal system is so time consuming and money consuming.
Agarwal, A. (2006). Resolving business disputes speedily.Economic and Political Weekly, 41(24), Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org.libproxy.dixie.edu/stable/4418340?seq=2
I agree that biographies are not 100% truthful. What are some of the alternate ways to solve disputes in a business? I am just wondering.
ReplyDeleteYour comments made me think about whether or not a autobiography can be genuinely truthful if certain truths are omitted. Even if all of the events actually happened the way they are told, by leaving out bad things that we have done or are not proud of, isn't that not being completely truthful?
ReplyDeleteI agree, I think even if you leave things unsaid, it's still not the whole truth. Sometimes, things make you look better if you "forget" to mention something that could alter other people's views of yourself.
ReplyDelete