http://prezi.com/tcpv9cnelako/business-management-communication-storytelling/
My two emphasis are business management and human communication. As I was deciding how to integrate these two with storytelling I also wanted to research something that would help people. That is the kind of person that I am. I really enjoy helping people and try to do it as much as I can. As I began my research I came across several studies that were helping companies save money through communciation and business administration. Then, I came across a study that I really like. This study is called Narratives in the Workplace. The study involved using fictional narratives to help people prevent and overcome future problems that might occur in the workplace. They used fictional narratives to overcome many different type of scenarios that might occur in the workplace.
I wanted to be able to integrate this study into my life. All of my life I have worked really hard on the basketball court. I have put in countless hours to ensure that I become the best basketball player that I can be. This has become my place of work. Basketball has taken me all over the country and is paying for my education, for these reasons I consider it my job. I am currently playing for the Dixie State University basketball team and everyday in practice we use fictional narratives to overcome potential problems that may arise during the game. For example, we split up into two teams and one team will be up by a certain amount of points while there is only a few minutes left on the clock. The team that is losing has to find a way to overcome the difficult situation and win the game. There is punishment for the losing team so nobody wants to lose. The scenarios were able to help us as recently as last weekend. We were on the road in Fresno California. We found ourselves down by four points with two minutes to go. Luckily, we had played through this scenario so many times in practice so no one panicked. We were able to overcome the problem and we won the game by five points.
These fictional narratives can also be found in many other work places. Student teaching, residency for doctors, basic training for the military. All of these help people learn how to overcome potential problems that will happen when they are out on their own.
This class has also helped me realize that storytelling is everywhere. I really liked in Gottschall's book how he talked about dreams. These could also be fictional narratives that can prepare us for future situations that may occur when we are awake. I know that ficational narratives are great problem solving techniques and I am grateful for them in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment