Taylor, S. (2002). The aesthetics of management storytelling: A key to organizational learning.Management Learning, Retrieved from http://mlq.sagepub.com.libproxy.dixie.edu/content/33/3/313.full.pdf html
Chulguen, Y. (2013). Telling tales at work: An evolutionary explanation. Business Communication Quarterly, Retrieved from http://bcq.sagepub.com.libproxy.dixie.edu/content/76/2/132.full.pdf html
I have the benefit of my emphasis being very relatable to eachother. They are business management and human communication. To be in a mangagement position you must have great communication skills. If you want to be able to get the best out of those you manage you must be able to properly communicate with them. After a lot of research I was able to come across these two articlles that I think will be very beneficial for my final presentation. The first article is about the understanding as to why some stories are better than others. As well as the contributions of aesthetically strong management stories to organizational learning. In a management position, understanding what makes stories great can be very beneficial. The next article describes how storytelling has evolved in the workplace as well as the payoffs for proper storytelling.
My father is the manager of a car dealership and is an incredible storyteller. Do you think that he is a good storyteller because he is a manager? Or do you think that one of the reasons he became a manager is because he is a good storyteller? Just something to think about.
ReplyDeleteI agree, your emphases are relate-able to each other. When it comes to business, however, I feel like storytelling could be misinterpreted as lying. I've learned from the movie, Matilda, that you shouldn't trust a car salesman.
ReplyDeleteInteresting that the article should use the word "evolution" because it also implies (to me as a biology major) natural selection and "survival of the fittest." Like Jillian asked, is her father a manager because of his greater ability to tell stories (natural selection would say so), or by being a manager, he has developed the ability to tell stories better than others?
ReplyDeleteVika! I love Matilda! I would trust Danny DeVito. Anyhow- I was thinking about Jillians response- its kinda of a chicken or egg question, however- storytelling in louis' emphases is completely needed. From some of my research I have found that storytelling allows people that normally would not have a commonality or connection, to form one. I would hope that a good business manager would be one who could relate to his employees. Storytelling could perpetuate that bond.
ReplyDeleteI think being good in business is all about storytelling. As we have learned this semester, we are all telling stories constantly. In order to be successful, I think it is very useful to know how to communicate well and be able to convey your story well. Most sales are done by communicating the correct story to the consumer.
ReplyDelete